Spent some quality time in the shop today without any distractions. Used my recently created mallet to chop out some mortises. Something calming about creating a useful piece from raw materials with nothing more than a picture in my head and a 70 pound beam of maple…
Invalid Displayed Gallery[foogallery id=”7778″]
After months of discussion, this project was finalized Monday night. Why “Night Terror” ? I had to get the materials, finalize the design, build and finish…in two days!!! Mission accomplished at 3 AM!
Unfortunately, it has not been picked up yet however I finally had a chance to look at it in the daylight. Given the finish was applied at 2 AM in the dark, it looked pretty good.
[ahm-wp-tabular id=1918 template=grey]
Here is the second cabinet of 3…
The legs were originally over $100 a set however I found them in the Rockler bargain bin and paid $5 a set. I used a Shultes level as a stiffener and I think it gives it an additional airplane feel.
This is what happens to a 1920’s chair when it is attacked by a rambunctious pug and is thrown across the room…
- Dry fit the parts to make sure I had all the pieces. With some painter’s tape, this only took an hour
- Using Titebond-III, each piece was glued, clamped and allowed to cure for a couple hours…one at a time
- The wood was brittle and dry so I decided to “flood” the end-grain of the parts with “hot” CA glue
- The dried glue was scraped off and the parts inspected. Any high spots were sanded and feathered into the adjoining parts
- Using a cotton swab and some alcohol based stain, the areas where the original finish was removed were blended to match
- 6 light coats of pre-catalyzed lacquer were sprayed and immediately cured with a hair-dryer (light sanding in between coats)
- A couple coats of furniture wax were applied for added protection.
When you have 6 TV’s, it is not easy to find a cabinet to fit. Options include old appliance boxes or warehouse pallet shelving. Mark asked me if I could make a couple more TV stands ( ).
*** Side Note: I tried to save Mark some money so I went with the imported 3/4″ Cherry. I was about $30 less however…you get what you pay for. After cutting almost all the parts for the first cabinet, the last part completely de-laminated…on a Saturday of course.
It is nice to have patient and understanding customers. They get a higher quality product and I get free “wood therapy”; oh and cash too 😉
I have been working on this for almost 3 years…2 years and 360 days thinking about it and 5 days to actually build it. It would have been done sooner but I needed to find a different way to cut the mortises. The first mortise splayed the corners of the mortise bit!
The wood is Ipe from Advantage Trim & Lumber (talk to Jon).
Stainless hardware from Ed Young’s and Hectors on Harlem.
A friend of mine dropped off a heavy glass mirror that she wanted a frame for. Using scrap Cherry, the mirror is wrapped in a 2″ cove and beaded frame and is less lonely. It looks much better plus I can get it out of my shop!
[foogallery id=”5271″]” template=”/home/tony175/public_html/woodforge/wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/products/photocrati_nextgen/modules/ngglegacy/view/gallery-caption.php” order_by=”sortorder” order_direction=”ASC” returns=”included” maximum_entity_count=”500″]